2015 Broke Previous Record for Number of Data Breaches
According to the Data Breach QuickView report by Risk Based Security, 2015 broke the previous all-time record, set in 2012, for the number of data breach incidents. Three of the 2015 breaches fall on the Top 20 All Time Breach List.
In 2015, there were 3930 breach incidents, resulting in 736 million records being exposed. Breaches involving U.S. entities accounted for 40.5% of the incidents and 64.7% of the exposed records. 77.7% of reported incidents were the result of external agents or activity outside the organization.
What can your organization do to protect itself from the risks and high costs associated with data breaches? Obviously, no company or government agency is completely immune to a potential data breach, but there are some important steps to take to minimize risk:
- At IT assets’ end-of-life, shred hard drives and other data-containing equipment such as smart phones
- Have a well thought out incidence response plan in place and update it on a regular basis
- Discuss the plan thoroughly and be sure that it includes “what if” scenarios
- Use scanning technology to monitor your network for vulnerabilities
- Encrypt sensitive data
- Use Securis for your hard-drive shredding and IT recycling needs!
About Securis’ on-site and off-site hard drive shredding services:
Securis’ mobile on-site shredding provides quiet, speedy, and secure shredding services for hard drives, cell phones, backup tapes, DLT, LTO, thumb drives and other data storage devices. Our hard drive shredder won’t disrupt your employees or customers doing business at your location.
Performing hard drive destruction and e-waste removal services at the client’s location enables their personnel to witness the process take place, maintaining the highest level of security and eliminating chain of custody dilemmas. It adds an extra layer of security around our certified data destruction.
Securis onsite services can shred thousands of pounds of metal and plastic per hour. Our hard drive shredding process has been independently verified and audited based on the industry’s best practices.
After the on-site hard drive shredding process has been completed, all destroyed materials are then securely transported back to our processing facility to undergo our Zero Landfill, Zero Export treatment. You’ll get a full accounting and audit of the data destruction process to ensure that your company is not at any risk of data loss, theft or misuse.
Securis provides a comprehensive list of end-to-end IT disposal services performed at our secure, access controlled facilities, including hard drive shredding, data destruction and e-waste recycling. Recycling and data destruction plans can be tailored to each organization’s needs, using any or all of Securis’ certified processing techniques.
The secure process begins at your location where Securis’ professionally trained and certified staff members:
- Tag and inventory, based upon serial number, all electronics slated for destruction or recycling to establish a chain of custody
- Record all serial numbers of processed and destroyed items for audit and accountability purposes
- Load all materials to be securely transported in a Securis GPS-traceable truck