4 Reasons Why Employee Background Checks are Important
Your company’s data is sensitive, proprietary, and extremely important to the survival of your business. A recent study by the Ponemon Institute indicated that the average data breach cost is $7.2 million in the United States. For this reason, it is a best practice to choose a data destruction vendor that requires employee background checks before hiring. When 10% of all data breaches are known to occur during the disposal process, assurance that your data is in good hands can be valuable peace of mind.
Here are Securis’s top 4 reasons why employee background checks are essential:
- Protection from liability– Imagine the unlikely happened, and a data breach occurred at your data destruction vendor. Chances are, you would want to be able to tell your lawyer that your vendor had an extensive screening process for all employees to protect against a breach.
- Protection against a data breach– The last place most companies want their data is in the hands of a criminal. Background checks on employees are extra protection against a data breach and a precaution that proves that your data destruction vendor commits to its duty of care when dealing with your sensitive data.
- Added security redundancy– Data destruction companies often have several security measures to defend your data, but background checks add another layer of protection for your benefit.
- Integrity and Ethical Standards– The background check requirement that data destruction companies set is a natural part of the strong commitment to ethical standards and reassures the customer of the company’s integrity.
Securis commits to providing the safest atmosphere for data removal and destruction. The vendor that is used for our employee background checks is Kroll Incorporated. Kroll Inc. is headquartered in New York and has over 65 offices in 25 countries. Kroll Inc. has a multidisciplinary corporation of more than 3,800 employees and serves a global clientele of corporations, financial institutions, government agencies, law firms, non-profit institutions, and individuals. Securis uses Kroll Inc. because they provide the best, most reliable background screenings. Our employee screening process consists of the following:
- Search the county criminal record for the past five years of residency in the counties where the employee lived.
- Driving Record – The driving record (motor vehicle record) will verify the driver’s license number, status, and state of issuance and may provide information such as full name and physical description, as well as recent moving traffic violations and accidents.
- Federal Criminal National Record Search
- SSN Trace & Address Locator Database
- U.S. Criminal Records Indicator Search
- Securis’s access employees also complete Federal Bureau of Investigation official fingerprint cards. This information and results from background and security checks are kept in each employee’s file for customer review.