Why Chain of Custody Matters in E-Waste Asset Management
Posted onFeb 8th, 2021
When it comes e-waste asset management, the chain of custody tracks where each asset is throughout the process. According to ITAssetManagement.net, the chain-of-custody is evidence that an ITAD vendor has physical possession of an IT asset. Suppose e-waste is found in a dump or sold on eBay with data. Chain of custody means that the vendor is accountable.
Securis understands the need for transparency for the entire lifecycle of a business’ e-waste. As a result, it has developed the leading chain of custody process for e-waste management. It ensures visibility into the disposal, destruction, and recycling of every asset included in a job.
Securis’ IT asset management chain of custody process:
- All electronics are inventoried by serial number. If there is no serial number or barcode, units are tagged with a proprietary Securis asset tag for easy identification and tracking.
- Data is destroyed in complete compliance with NSA and DOD standards, HIPAA, FACTA, Gramm-Leach-Bliley, and other compliance measures.
- Additional security protocols such as degaussing can be used.
- Corporate identifying information is removed from all electronics. Processing includes data anonymization to prevent a link between audit reports and specific destroyed hard drives.
- Materials are shredded using one of Securis’ industrial hard drive shredders. The material can be shredded down to 2mm particles.
- Securis clients receive an audit-ready IT inventory list.
- Clients are given a signed Certificate of Data Destruction. This Certificate is a nationally recognized legal document.
- Securis employees undergo extensive background checks and are U.S. citizens. Each must sign non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements. All participate in ongoing training on security procedures.
- Securis’ facilities are subject to constant monitoring and protection.
- Every Securis vehicle is equipped with the latest in GPS tracking and intrusion protection reinforcement.
Securis follows its stringent chain of custody protocols at all of its secure locations. Securis can also securely destroy assets on-site while you witness the destruction.